The Future High Streets Forum brings together civic and business leaders from across the retail, property and hospitality sectors.
Speaking after the first meeting of the Forum, Local Growth Minister Mark Prisk said, ‘Over the last year this Government has worked hard to help boost the High Street, including initiatives to simplify planning, revamp the public realm, cut the business rate burden and revive local markets’.
‘Now, the Future High Streets Forum will take a joint lead in driving forward these initiatives and providing the strategic leadership needed to analyse the competition and tackle the difficult problems which conventional High Streets need to address.’
The Forum will address a number of key issues, including:
- helping to accelerate the local mentoring programme
- advising the Government on the more efficient use of existing buildings, in order to encourage people to live in town centres
- supporting the expansion of such initiatives as Love Your Local Markets and pop-up shops
- researching into a practical toolkit to help town teams to ‘futureproof’ High Streets
- exploring solutions to barriers to the High Street, such as local parking policies
The Association of Town and City Management will offer a £1m two-year peer-to-peer support package for the 27 Portas Pilots and 330 town teams across country.
Is your High Street full of empty shops and requiring a much needed boost? Do you think this forum will make a difference? Please let us know what you think
If you are thinking about starting your own business and would like some practical and professional advice, please visit our Business Start upspage.