Three million taxpayers will ‘receive early tax refunds’

Up to 3.5 million taxpayers are set to receive tax refunds from HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC), as the annual reconciliation of PAYE for 2011/12 begins.

The process, which is taking place two months earlier than last year, will see individuals who have paid too much tax receiving average repayment of £379.

However, around 1.6 million people will be informed that they have underpaid their tax, and will need to make up an average £537 each. The sum owing will normally be collected in instalments through the PAYE system.

While around 85% of individuals pay the correct amount of tax under PAYE, changes in personal circumstances during the year, such as changes to benefits in kind, moving jobs, or having gaps between periods of employment, mean that the remaining 15% pay too little or too much tax.

Stephen Banyard of HMRC said, ‘We are pleased that we are able to start this process more quickly than in previous years, giving money back to those we owe and delivering certainty to those with something to pay’.

The introduction of the new Real Time Information (RTI) system will require employers and pension providers to tell HMRC about PAYE payments as they are made, rather than at the end of the year, meaning that more people should pay the correct amount of tax.

However, some organisations have expressed concerns that smaller businesses could encounter problems with implementing the new filing requirements under RTI, due to a lack of resources and technical knowledge.

If we can help you with any tax and financial planning needs, including ensuring that your PAYE code is correct, please do contact us for further assistance.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

My CMS

We are a firm of Accountants based in Harrow, Middlesex offering tips and tax advice to help sole traders, individuals and businesses in the UK grow. We'll also keep you up-to-date with the latest tax news hitting the headlines! We hope you find our blog helpful and appreciate any feedback.

Enplug

Our startup's blog

iShade's Curator Comments

Accounting Profession Beat by Korinne DePew (as of 12/3/13)

Lawrence Grant Chartered Accountants

We are a firm of Accountants based in Harrow, Middlesex offering tips and tax advice to help sole traders, individuals and businesses in the UK grow. We'll also keep you up-to-date with the latest tax news hitting the headlines! We hope you find our blog helpful and appreciate any feedback.

Les Conway

I offer a comprehensive financial planning service covering all aspects including retirement planning, protection and investment needs

%d bloggers like this: